The purpose of the Dedham Square Improvement Project was to be a comprehensive traffic and safety improvement project with the goal of improving traffic operations and safety through the installation of modern coordinated signals with pedestrian phases, reducing crosswalk lengths, and adding handicap accessible ramps. The project purpose also included parking improvements with more spaces and parking management capability, and streetscape enhancements such as decorative sidewalk surfaces, tree plantings, bike racks, benches, and period lighting.
Project Limits: Beginning on High Street at the intersection of Ames Street and Court Street and ending at the limits of work on High Street near the Providence Highway Bridge; on Washington Street beginning at Harris Street and extending to just north of the intersection with Bryant Street; and on Eastern Avenue beginning at Bryant Street and extending to High Street.
Project Length: 2,485 linear feet (0.47 miles)
The scope of the project includes the activities listed below:
- Full depth reclamation or cold planing and resurfacing (as specified) of roads within project limits;
- Installation of traffic signals at High Street and Washington Street, and High Street and Eastern Avenue;
- Installation of new granite curbing;
- Installation of new concrete sidewalks with brick banding;
- Installation of brick crosswalks;
- Relocation of the existing granite wall along the Keystone Lot with granite faced concrete wall;
- Reconstruction and reconfiguration of Keystone Lot;
- Installation of new ornamental street lights;
- Installation of decorative benches, bollards, tree grates, and trash receptacles;
- Installation of new street trees and landscaping;
- Installation of new catch basins and limited repairs to existing drain lines;
- Installation of angled parking in front of the Police Station;
- Installation of parking meter pay stations (on-street and off-street); and
- Relocation of two utility poles as necessary to accommodate curb line changes
The scope of the project does not include:
- Improvements outside of the project limits;
- Removal of overhead utility lines;
- Sewer, water, gas, electric, telephone, or cable utility improvements or replacement (except by others);
- Environmental studies or assessments of the Keystone Lot; or
- Handling and mitigating soil or groundwater contamination
On May 16, 2011, Town Meeting voted to authorize the borrowing of $6.1 million dollars to construct the Dedham Square Improvement Project with $4.8 million to be paid for locally and the remaining $1.3 million to be paid through a reimbursement from the State as part of a Public Works Economic Development (PWED) grant awarded to the Town in October 2010. In May 2011, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts awarded the Town an additional $400,000 to help further offset the cost of construction.
The estimated total cost for the project was $6,100,000
References & Downloads
|05.12.14||Dedham Square - Project Closeout Presentation
Project Closeout Presentation made to the BOS at their 3/20/14 meeting.
|03.07.14||Dedham Square - Sidewalk Clear Path Plan
Plan approved by the Board of Selectmen at their March 6, 2014 meeting.
|01.21.14||Operational Assessment - Traffic Signals - Five Locations
BETA Group, Inc. report summarizing traffic improvements pre and post construction.
|09.18.13||Pay Station Presentation - 9/16/13|
|08.26.13||Public Meeting Flyer - Pay Stations 9/16/13|
|05.28.13||New Resident Engineer|
|03.04.13||NSTAR Gas Main Replacement|
|03.01.13||Dedham Square - Parking Schedule Presentation 2/28/13|
|02.15.13||NSTAR power outage scheduled for 2/25/2013|
|05.24.12||NSTAR Power Outage 5/24|