The Town Clerk and the Board of Registrars oversee all elections in Dedham. Voting is a right that has a number of aspects to it that residents should know about:
- Registering to Vote: The first thing you need to do to vote is to register with either the Town Clerk or the Secretary of the Commonwealth. You may register in-person, by mail, or online.
- Absentee & Early Voting: Elections are typically held on one day, however you have the option to vote absentee or early.
- Voting Precincts & Polling Places: When you go to vote on Election Day, you are to vote at a specific location.
- Election Dates: Track when elections are held and for what offices.
- Election Results: Going back to 2006, view election results from within the Town.
- Local Campaign Finance Guide: For first-time local political candidates, be sure to follow this guide to comply with legal requirements around your candidacy.
- Filed Campaign Finance Reports: Campaign financing reports that were filed by local candidates for office.
The 2019 Annual Town Election will be held on Saturday, April 13th. Town elections are regularly held on the second Saturday of April every year. These elections are for town offices, such as the Board of Selectmen and School Committee.
The Massachusetts State Primary last took place on Tuesday September 4th, 2018, the day after Labor Day. This election was for county, state, and federal offices, such as governor, U.S. Senator, and state representative. You can only vote in the primary election of one registered political party. The winners of this election go on to the November election. The next State Primary will not be until September, 2020, unless a special election is held.
The general State Election last took place on Tuesday November 6th, 2018, as general elections are regularly held on the first Tuesday of November every two years nationwide. This election will be for the same offices as the primary, but all ballots will feature candidates of any political party. The next State Election will not be until November 3, 2020, unless a special election is held.
Board of Registrars
The Board of Registrars is a group of Dedham voters who conduct elections and keep election and voter records. The Town Clerk is automatically a member as the chief elections and records officer of the Town. Three other members are appointed by the Board of Selectmen for staggered, three-year terms. The current members are:
|Elaine M. DeGrandis||Chair||2020|
|Sarah MacDonald (resigned)||Vice Chair||2019|
|Paul Munchbach||Town Clerk||2021|
|Robert P. Zahka, Jr.||Member||2021|