The Treasurer's Office:
- Receives all monies which come into the town;
- Pays all bills, including payroll;
- Administers Town employees' health and life insurance programs; and
- Works with the Assessors, Collector's, and Comptroller's departments to ensure the smooth and efficient operation of Town finances.
In addition, the Treasurer:
- Is responsible for investing the Town's funds in accordance with guidelines imposed by Chapter 44, Section 55 of Massachusetts General Laws.
- Does all short- and long-term borrowing which Town Meeting has authorized, with the approval of the Board of Selectmen.
- Works with the Selectmen and the Commissioners of Trust Funds to administer the Town's trust funds, which total about $2 million
- Manages the Town's property which is in Tax Title or Foreclosure. Delinquent property is turned over to the Treasurer annually, when the Collector does a tax taking (puts a lien on the property).
The Tax Collector is responsible for the collection of all billed receivables for the town of Dedham. These include but are not limited to:
- Building permits,
- Municipal Lien Certificates,
- Personal property tax,
- Police and Fire details and alarms,
- Public Works street opening permits,
- Real estate taxes,
- Scholarship funds, and
- Sewer use fees