America Recycles Day on November 15th is a national awareness initiative dedicated to promoting and celebrating recycling in the United States. Last year, 2 million people celebrated recycling at more than 2,000 events across the nation on America Recycles Day. Did you know our national recycling rate is 34% annually? For more fun recyclign facts, see below.
- The number of cans recycled every 30 seconds equals the number of people who could fill an entire pro football stadium.
- A glass container can go from recycling bin to a store shelf in as few as 30 days.
- Recycling one aluminum can saves the energy needed to operate a 46-inch LED TV for 3 hours.
- Did you know that shampoo and mouthwash bottles are recyclable? Even the cardboard roll from toilet paper can be recycled!
- Plastic bags are recyclable, but not at the curb. However, many retailers across the country have drop-off collections for plastic bag recycling. Other bags that can be recycled are: dry-cleaning bags, bread bags and newspaper bags.
- Did you know in most communities you don’t need to remove the cap from your PET bottle before you recycle it? The plastic cap is recyclable, too.
Recycling is the easiest thing we can do 365 days a year to save energy, conserve natural resources and create green jobs. Recycle today and everyday!