Mission of the Dedham Sustainability Advisory Committee
Dedham’s Sustainability Advisory Committee was established to advise the Town’s Board of Selectmen on strategies for advancing the Town’s commitment to renewable energy, at the municipal, business, and residential levels. The purpose of the Committee is to educate Dedham and encourage energy conservation and sustainability by addressing the long term impacts of fossil fuels such as pollution, global warming and climate change. By engaging the community in making smart energy choices we are forging the path for a sustainable Dedham that will have a long-lasting, positive impact on future generations.
Sustainability Advisory Committee’s Future Goals and Objectives
The following are areas that the Committee has voted to focus upon over the next year and beyond:
- Create a “Green Kit” that would supply the schools, residents and other groups with information on how create fun and environmentally sensitive events.
- Explore sustainable lunch program.
- Host a business "green roundtable."
- Lead after school programs.
- Host Annual Green Fair with Music/Art Fest
- Explore public transit to area town centers.
- Explore Dedham bike path.
- Look into Complete Streets
3. Alternative Energies
- Investigate hydropower for Charles River/Mother Brook.
- Revisit wind turbines
- Brownfield to brightfield at Landfill and Readville Yard
- Geothermal Heat Pump
- Revive quarterly column in local papers.
- Create Dedham "Green Pages."
- Continue to bring Sustainability committee to other boards, groups and school
- Social Networking
Dedham Sustainability Advisory Committee Members
Jonathan Briggs, Chair
Joanna Hamblin, Vice Chair
Virginia LeClair, Environmental Coordinator
at Green Dedham