Building Department update for construction activities
Temporary policy is subject to change
Although the Dedham Building Department offices remains closed to the public, we are accepting applications by mail for all Building, Mechanical, Sign, Plumbing, Gas Fitting and Electrical permits.
We prefer that you mail the application to: Building Dept. P.O. Box 306, Dedham, MA 02027
We are also accepting applications--during normal business hours--at the rear entrance to the Town Hall. Please call the office, (781) 751-9180. We will meet you at the back door, and you can drop off the application.
All applications must include a check made payable to the Town of Dedham in the amount for the permit fee. If you have questions about the fee please call us at (781) 751-9180. The fee schedule is complicated, so please ask questions.
We also encourage you to email any information to include to support your application, such as plans or other documents you want us to review.
Building, Plumbing, Gas, and Electrical Inspections
All inspections shall be requested by the person who is responsible for the inspection.
- Building inspections: The construction supervisor. Or for Homeowner’s permits, the Homeowner.
- Electrical inspections: The Licensed Electrician.
- Plumbing and Gas Fitting Inspections: The Licensed Plumber.
When you call for inspection please provide:
- Your name,
- the address of the property,
- the type of inspection requested,
- your phone number, and
- the date you want the inspection.
The inspector will contact you directly the schedule the inspection. The inspector will ask you the following questions:
- Is there anyone sick on the property? If the answer is yes we will decline doing the inspection.
- Is the dwelling or building vacant to occupied? If the building is occupied you must have all persons leave the area where the inspection is to be made and there can be no one on the floor level where inspector will be inspecting. This includes all access paths to the area where the inspector will go to get to the inspection.
- The person requesting the inspection must be present outside and at the entrance to the building but at least 12 feet away from the inspector at all times.
- Have the building permit card available in a location that is easy for inspector to sign. Make sure it is on a table or some other surface where the inspector can sign the card.
- Do not follow the inspector unless requested to do so.
- Do not attempt to shake hands or approach the inspector in any way.
- Make sure that before requesting Building inspections, Plumbing, Electrical, or Gas fitting inspections have been inspected first and have passed inspection!
- If the area to be inspected is not complete please do not request an inspection.
Please be advised this a temporary policy and is subject to change without notice as new information becomes available. Thank you for you cooperation during this time.
Kenneth R. Cimeno