View Dedham updates on COVID-19. Town Hall remains closed to the public until further notice, but Town staff are providing services remotely.


Stormwater Management

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Capture Stormwater

Rainwater and snowmelt run off our roadways, lawns, and construction sites into catch basins on the streets carrying fertilizers, oil, and trash that pollute our waterways. Education is imperative to preventing pollution of our streams, rivers, and ponds. Often times residents are unaware of the direct connection between what they use on their lawns or what they dump down stormdrains and the health of the environment.

Preventing stormwater pollution

Like most towns in Massachusetts, Dedham faces a problem with stormwater pollution. Runoff from our parking lots, roads, sidewalks, and other hard surfaces carries pollution into our water bodies. This pollution can make water bodies unsightly, and unsafe for swimming, boating, fishing, and other recreational activities. dog waste slider

Dedham is working towards a cleaner future by providing educational resources for its residents on how to prevent stormwater pollution. Through our partnership with neighboring towns and the Neponset River Watershed Association we are tackling stormwater pollution. 

For more information on what Dedham is doing and how you can be part of the solution view the Dedham Stormwater Best Management Practices Flyer

Stormdrain stenciling program

The Dedham Conservation Commission and Environmental Department have developed a stormwater education program designed for school groups and scout troops. The goal of this program is to educate Dedham youth and foster the next generation of environmental stewards through fun, hands on projects. Youth will participate by stenciling on the curb of stormdrains “Do Not Dump, Drains to Charles River" or “Do Not Dump, Drains to Mother Brook”.  Through hands-on educational activities students will learn how to reduce pollution and protect our natural resources.

Do you need a stormwater permit?

If you are filing a building permit or propose activity that will alter or disturb land, you may need obtain a stormwater permit. This would include: 

  • Any residential alteration, disturbance, development or redevelopment of at least 500 square feet.
  • Any new driveway of at least 1,000 square feet.
  • Any commercial, industrial, institutional or municipal alteration, disturbance, development or redevelopment of at least 500 square feet.

Stormwater permit applications and information can be downloaded below. If you have questions, please contact the Conservation Agent

Municipal stormwater management

The Town's Engineering Department manages stormwater runoff from public property and infrastructure. For more information about that program, please visit the Municipal Stormwater (MS4) page.