Firearms licensing procedures have been modified because of the Covid-19 state of emergency. Applications for firearms licenses will be processed in the following manner:
First-time applications and renewal applications for a License to Carry Firearms or a Firearms Identification Card will be accepted via mail. Applications must include the following:
- A complete original application signed by the applicant. Download the application form.
- Proof of residency, e.g., copy of a real estate tax, utility bill, lease agreement, etc;
- Application processing fee in the form of a check or money order payable to the Town of Dedham in the amount of $100. (Renewal applicants over the age of 70 are exempt from paying the processing fee);
- First time applicants must also include a copy of an approved basic firearms safety certificate in accordance with M.G.L. Ch. 140 s 131P;
- A copy of the applicant's drivers license;
The application and supporting materials should be mailed to the Dedham Police Department, 600 High Street, Dedham, MA 02026. Attn: Firearms License.
A receipt acknowledging that an application has been received will be mailed to the applicant. Applicants will be contacted via telephone or mail with any questions related to their application.
First time applicants will be contacted and scheduled for an appointment in order to process fingerprints. Renewal applicants will generally not be required to make an in person appointment in order for an application to be processed.
Approved firearms licenses and notices of denial will be mailed to applicants.