View Dedham updates on COVID-19. Town Hall remains closed to the public until further notice, but Town staff are providing services remotely.


Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
  • Is there a residency requirement for Veterans Benefits?

    You must apply for Chapter 115 in the town of which you reside. Each town in the Commonwealth has a veteran service agent.

  • Are Veterans Benefits taxable?

    Chapter 115 benefits are not taxable income. You must report this income when applying for or renewing subsidized housing applications, Section 8 applications, and SNAP applications.
  • How do I find out if I am eligible for Veteran's Benefits??

    Contact the Veterans Office @ 781-751-9265 to schedule an appointment with the Veterans Service Officer. Eligible veterans and/or family members must meet certain income criteria and their military experience must meet the Commonwealth of Massachusetts criteria.
  • What is Chapter 115?

    Under Chapter 115 of Massachusetts General Laws (M.G.L ch.115), the Commonwealth of Massachusetts provides a uniform program of financial and medical assistance for veterans and their dependents. Qualifying veterans and their dependents receive necessary financial assistance for food, shelter, clothing fuel, and medical care in accordance with a formula that takes into account the number of dependents and income from all sources. View the Chapter 115 checklist
  • I’ve moved and need to change my address or I’ve changed banks, what do I need to do?

    You must complete VA Form 20-572, Request for Change of Address/Cancellation of Direct Deposit. This form should be completed and processed by submitting to this office or you may send it directly to the office to which your records are kept. If they are in Boston, you would forward to Department of Veterans Affairs, Regional Office, JFK Federal Building, Boston, MA 02203.
  • Is my spouse eligible for VA Healthcare coverage?

    NO. Unless he/she is a veteran, he/she will not have any coverage for healthcare through the VA.
  • If I’m already on another insurance plan, do I have to give it up if I enroll with the VA?

    NO. If you can avoid canceling, we suggest you keep your private coverage; it can work as a second opinion. Many veterans have double coverage.
  • I’m a veteran and want to use the VA for healthcare, what do I do?

    You must complete a VA Form 10-10EZ and submit with your discharge to the VA Healthcare facility that you wish to use or you can submit them to this office for submission. You must wait for a reply from the VA Healthcare System which usually takes about 30 to 45 days. Once you have received your reply you may call for an appointment and assignment to a primary physician.
  • If I’m a veteran, will the VA pay for my prescriptions that I obtain at a local pharmacy?

    NO. The VA does not reimburse for prescriptions purchased at a local pharmacy.
  • Can I just go to a Veterans Hospital and obtain prescriptions?

    NO, unless you have enrolled in the VA Healthcare System recently, which means you have filled out a VA Form 10-10EZ, submitted to a VA Healthcare location, were responded to via a letter from the VA confirming receipt, assigned a priority rating and assigned a physician who prescribes the medication
  • How do I obtain my discharge record?

    Your discharge record can be obtained through a request with this office. We will ask a few questions to confirm identity and then do a search within our local records, if not found at that level, we pursue at the state level and finally the federal level. Each level has various time elements for receipt.