The Dedham 2030 Master Planning process will engage the community to document a vision for the town's future. This effort, which is part of the state-defined Master Planning process, will begin in 2019 and last approximately two years.
The Dedham 2030 Master Plan, created by the Planning Board, will consist of:
- 7 members appointed at large
- 5 appointed by Planning Board
- 2 appointed by Select Board
- 2 Planning Board members
- 1 Select Board member
- 1 Parks and Recreation member
- 1 School Committee member
Overview of Master Plan 2030
In Massachusetts, cities and towns are required periodically to develop a master plan that defines goals and policies relating to land use, housing, economic development, natural and cultural resources, open space and recreation, services and facilities, transportation, and master plan implementation.
Dedham’s Master Plan 2030 will also include a rigorous analysis of public health and livability to ensure that resident well-being be incorporated as a metric for town programs and policies.
The Master Plan 2030 Committee responsibilities include selecting and overseeing a planning consultant who will help the Town actively engage the community using a variety of mechanisms. The committee and consultant will work with stakeholders, including town departments, boards, committees, and the public, to compile data and make recommendations to help guide future decision-making.
For more information, please review two documents generated by the Town’s 2009 master planning process, http://www.dedham-ma.gov/masterplan/.
Responsibilities and expectations for committee members:
Given its scope, we anticipate the committee’s work will take 18-24 months. In order to complete the work in that timeline, members will be expected to:
- Attend monthly committee meetings during the evening (to be scheduled according to committee member availability),
- Attend 4-6 public meetings/listening sessions, and
- Complete work outside of meetings as needed, such as meeting with consultants, reviewing reports, and editing drafts.
Interested in applying?
To be considered for appointment to this committee, please respond by July 1, 2019 (deadline extended). Send a letter expressing reasons for your interest and/or your resume:
- By mail or by hand to Jennifer Doherty, Planning & Zoning Department, Dedham Town Hall, 26 Bryant Street, Dedham, MA 02026, or
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants will be invited to attend a Planning Board meeting in July to make a brief statement in support of their application.
The Planning Board is committed to fulfilling the mission of the Master Plan 2030 Committee with members who represent the rich diversity of Dedham’s residents.